Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Girls' Third Birthday

Finally, the big day is about to arrive!   For a mother, little one's birthday is always something to fuss about.  What cake should I get?  What theme should the celebration be?  Is it going to be a small celebration or a big one?  What present(s) should I prepare?  I for one, am not someone who is keen to hold big celebration.  For now, I'll just settle with a nice cake.  Having said that, imagine my shock when I was quoted hundreds of ringgit for a simple cake decorated with fondant.  Am I to spend so much for a cake that is going to end up in the tummy?  No way!

I am very particular about having cakes decorated with fondant and only fondant as I received 'complaints' from the girls' kindy about the cupcakes I made for their tea party few months earlier.  The kids made a huge mess with the buttercream and I can imagine the staff at the kindy is going to hate me for life if I were to present a buttercream cake again.  With the failed cake hunting mission, I finally decided to bake and decorate the cakes myself.  There are going to be two cakes, one for the celebration at home and one for the kindergarten.

A novice or I would say a first timer in cakes decorating, I really had no idea on what I got myself into.  A long weekend following the Nuzul Al Quran holiday came as a blessing and I spent them baking and 'researching' on fondant cakes decorating.  Watched many videos over youtube on tips and techniques in fondant figurines making.  Speaking of which, isn't it a blessing to have youtube these days?

The girls and I busied ourselves at the kitchen for two consecutive days.  The girls busied with their pretend play with my leftover fondant while I was all stressed up to do the best I could.  So, ta da... the results :







 










They are far from perfect but they are perfect in my girls' eyes and that is the most important isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment