Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Child Yukata

This mommy is so into Japanese attire these days.  After sewing the summer kimono, aka yukata, the other day, I have decided to try my hand on the child version, which comes with a top and a short pants.   This 2 piece version is more children friendly as they can run wild without the restriction from the long robe.  It is unisex too, meaning boys and girls' pattern is the same.  Only the choice of prints is different.

When sewing the yukata, one has to always bear in mind that the top should follows the rule - left over right.  The japanese wears the kimono or yukata with the left side over the right side.  Only during mourning that they wear it right over left.  A tip that I got about this is to think of 'leftover rice'.  Leftover rice sounds just like 'left over right'. 

This time round, I have sewn 3 of this child yukata.  One for my boy, one for a friend's son and another with printed kitty in pink for a little girl whose mummy lend me the bouncer for my boy.  All three of them... Now, this makes me think of the song 'Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full'.  Only now it is 3 yukatas instead...









No comments:

Post a Comment