Friday, August 17, 2012

Mango Ice Cream

Received the ice cream maker that I purchased from Groupon two days ago.  The ice cream maker is much smaller than I expected but I guess that will do for now.  Not that I am going to make ice cream in bulk anyway.  The ice cream maker comes with a few simple recipes.  The one that caught my eyes is the mango ice cream and it is stated that this recipe is highly recommended.  So off I went to look for the ingredients.

Ingredients (with adaptation)  :

200g   Mango
100g   Milk
80g     Thickened cream
2 pcs  Egg yolk
10g     Sugar



Method :

1) Put all ingredients into the blender and process till smooth.
2) Pour into the freezer container of the ice cream maker and allow churning and freezing (about 30 minutes)




The original recipe uses double cream but I couldn't find it anywhere thus I substituted it with thickened cream.  It also calls for the 3 egg yolks.   I read from the internet that French style ice cream uses egg yolks but it is not use in other styles.  The egg yolk contains lecithin, which is an emulsifier and functions in combining the water and fats together, making the ice cream more creamy and smooth.  Personally I feel a bit eerie to consume raw eggs and felt like omitting it.  But then since this is the first time I am making ice cream, I thought it would be best to follow the recipe so that I can improve from there in the future.


The freezer container has to be put in freezer for a minimum of 6 hours, or till the liquid within is completely frozen.  Churning process took about 30minutes.  While the resultant ice cream is not as creamy and smooth as those commercial ones but I like the idea that I know what I have put in it and I can also control how much sugar it contains.  Will try to make frozen yogurt next.















No comments:

Post a Comment