Monday, August 20, 2012

Chocolate Ice Cream

After the mango ice cream the other day, this is my second attempt with my newly purchased ice cream maker.  The mango ice cream turned from yellow to brownish color after a day and some mummies commented that the color changed is due to oxidation of the mangoes.  In order to not have the same episode again, I have decided to try my hand in making chocolate ice cream instead.

The chocolate ice cream recipe that came with the ice cream maker looked easy and I have made some changes to the recipe myself.  Below is the recipe with changes that I have made :




Ingredients :

3/4 cup   cocoa powder, sifted
1/3 cup   granulated sugar
1/4 cup   brown sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 cup      low fat milk
2 cups    thickened cream
1/2 tbsp  vanilla essence

Method :

1) Whisk together cocoa, sugars and salt.  Add the milk and beat to combine till the cocoa, sugars and salt are dissolved.
2) Stir in thickened cream and vanilla essence.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3) Churn the mixture with the ice cream maker* for 25 minutes.

Note * :  The freezer container of the ice cream maker should be placed in the freezer beforehand and the liquid contained within should be frozen




Cocoa mixture before cooling in fridge






Churning in process




Churning completed




Chocolate ice cream served with bananas





The changes in the recipe include reduced sugar and changing from the use of whole milk to low fat milk.   I feel that the new recipe is healthier and less sinful.

The resultant ice cream is, I would say, heavenly!  Not too sweet and full of the aroma of the cocoa.  It tasted even better when served with bananas.   I can say that this is an ice cream that I will make over and over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment