Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Kindle 3 as Companion

With the bouts of contractions as the pregnancy progresses, the dr thinks it would be safer for me to get warded in the hospital for bed rest and observation.  So here I am, in the maternity ward. 

Staying in the ward would be like prison to some.  However, I came prepared this time round.  I have my laptop, broadband internet as well as my e book reader, the Amazon Kindle 3 with me.

The Kindle is really God send.  I have hundreds of e books saved in it, which is really not that much compared to those avid book readers.  My collection is growing though.  In average, I finished up a book in just one morning in the ward.  So having hundreds of books in my Kindle is really a blessing.  Whenever I think of a book that I would like reading, I will search the internet for the digital version.   Free e books of course.  There are tons of websites that offer free ebooks.  My favourites are gigapedia and freebookspot.

There is also this text to speech feature in the Kindle for those who prefer to have the e books read to them.  I have never used this function though as I don't take audio books kindly.

With the Kindle, I can plug on the earphones and listen to songs while reading as it also comes with mp3 player.  The Kindle has speakers but for the benefit of other felllow patients in the ward, the earphones offers privacy and silence.  

When tired of reading, I switched to playing games that I have saved in the Kindle.   The Kindle 3 also comes with wifi and web browser for those internet surfing at the spur of the moment.  However, the hospital does not offer free wifi and I have my laptop and broadband internet with me anyway.

Mine is the Kindle 3 which has a black and white screen and keypads.  Amazon has since came up with the touch screen version of Kindle.  Its latest product, the tablet named Kindle Fire is set to be launched soon.  The Kindle Fire is an interesting gadget with just a fraction of the price of that of an I Pad or any other tablets in the market currently.  Perhaps I can consider getting the Kindle Fire after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment