Sunday, July 8, 2012

DIY Bag for Little Girls

Parents with babies or toddlers will understand just how many things we need to pack whenever we go out with our little ones.   Diapers, change of clothes, handkerchief, milk powder (for those not breastfeeding), thermos flask, teething biscuits, etc, etc.  Having toddlers who already can eat on their own is not much better, what more with a pair of twins.

I can't recall just how many times we had to ask for extra bowls, plates, cups, spoons or forks whenever we eat out with our girls.  I bet we were too difficult to serve when the waiter frowned at our mere presence at their restaurants.  So, in order to save ourselves from further embarassment, I think it is a good idea to bring our own eating utensils.  So I equipped our girls with a lunch box and a box containing spoon, fork and chopstick.  One set for each of them.  Got all these from Daiso and I bought a canvas bag for them to put the utensils in too, cos as usual, we also let the girls bring along a handkerchief and a book to keep them entertained. 

The Daiso canvas bag is rather plain.  Thus, when a friend suggested that I make a tutu bag out of it, I jumped into the idea immediately.  Only that I used fabrics instead of tulle as I already have few drawers full of fabrics. 

Sewing the fabrics onto the bag was challenging as the canvas is very hard and stiff.  Plus, the bag is small, making it difficult to turn it around.  Sewing the first bag is challenging. However, even with the experience gained from sewing the first bag, sewing the second one proved to be even more challenging.  This is because I need to make them identical to avoid the girls fighting with each other for the 'nicer' ones.  I guess this is the problem faced by those who draw their eyebrows everyday.  One need to draw both brows to be identical and balanced.

The bags looked so different after the fabrics were sewn, resembling a dress.  I personally prefer the two layers version.  However, the extra layer adds weight and bulk to the bag, which is too much for the girls to handle.  Thus, I stick to the single layer version, which is rather dainty on its own.

The girls were so excited when they saw the bags and what it contained.  Not sure though, whether they were excited to see the pretty bags or knowing that they have new lunch boxes and eating utensils which are all in pink color.  Their favourite color.  They even requested to have pink colored orange!








Top : Bag with one layer fabric
Bottom :  Bag with two layers fabrics



No comments:

Post a Comment