Monday, October 6, 2014

DIY Princess Anna's Party Gown

The movie 'Frozen' has been released for almost one year and yet, the craze just goes on and on.   Merchandise bearing the pictures and the words 'Frozen' takes form of everything imaginable : clothes, water bottles, eating utensils, bags, pencils, and even, swimwear!

I have sewn a 'mini' Princess Anna's party dress months ago, the green dress that Anna wore when she met Prince Hahn's for the first time. It is also the same dress that she wore to her sister, Queen Elsa's coronation ceremony and ball.  It is a beautiful and elegant gown, adorned with motif at the bodice and thoughout the dress.  And to go with it, a beautiful braided head of hair.

So many moons have passed since I feel like sewing the same dress in bigger size for my 5 years old daughters.  It was done with a little modification : the motif at the dress is sewn on using gauze ribbons, rather than drawn.   The motif at the bodice, however, were drawn using cloth dyes and heat treated. 

It looked doomed to fail at first and I nearly gave up half way. The skirt just wouldn't straightened, probably due to all the tugging and pulling when I sew the ribbons on.  However, after some 'serious' ironing, the gown started to fall in place.  Once the motif at the bodice is drawn, I fell in love with it.

And.. when my girl wore it for the first time, I fell in love with it all over again....

There are many similar 'Princess Anna's dress' out there in the market.  But nothing beats the DIY.












No comments:

Post a Comment