Wednesday, January 16, 2013

CNY Outfit of Brocade

Every Chinese New Year (CNY), my girls will wear something that I sewn for them.  This CNY is no exception although I have bought a red cheongsam for each of them.  I just can't resist the urge or desire to sew something for them, especially after I have seen the beautiful chinese brocades in the fabric shop.

I had my eyes set on a particular piece of fabric, a bright blue adorned with small flowers.  The color is very sharp and I am going to sew a skirt for myself out of this piece of fabric.  But first, I will complete the girls' clothes before moving on to sew mine.

My past experience in working with brocades told me that I have to be extra careful and start sewing only after I have made sure that everything is right.  This is because the brocades fray easily and removal of the seams if anything goes wrong will tear the fabric even more.    I managed to complete the dress in 3 hours, starting from drawing the pattern till the last stitch.









No comments:

Post a Comment