Monday, June 4, 2012

DIY Playdoh

Since attended the nursery, the girls always come home with lots of toys and pencils, courtesy of other parents and the suppliers for the nursery.  They came home one day with playdoh.  I have not thought of getting them any playdoh for fear of them consuming it.  A lot of caution was practiced when the girls played with the playdoh that they brought home.

The girls love to play with the playdoh and came out with lots of 'unique' creations.  Kids will always be kids. The playdoh were lost and gone in very short time.   Although they love it so much, I have no intention in buying something that will not survive even a week.  Thus, I made the playdoh on my own.


Ingredients :

1 cup   plain flour
1/2 cup  water
1/4 cup  salt
3 tsp  vinegar
2 tbsp  cooking oil
edible colorings


Method :

1) Mix the flour and salt in a pot.  Add in water.
2) Heat the mixture while stirring.
3) Add in vinegar and cooking oil.
4) Stir and cook till a pliable dough is obtained and let cooled.
5) Once the dough is cooled, add in few drops of colorings and knead till well blended.

Store in airtight container when not using and it should be able to keep for a few weeks.


Some recipe for playdoh calls for the use of cream of tartar instead of vinegar.  However, there is some concerns about commercial cream of tartar containing aluminium.  Thus, I used vinegar in place of the cream of tartar.  This however, leave a hint of vinegar scent to the playdoh.  It is not unpleasant though.


The girls love the playdoh that I made.  So glad that I have found a way to save again.  Plus, I have the peace in mind knowing that the playdoh is perfectly safe if consumed accidentally.











1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing :)
    I will be following your method and hope my boy will love them!

    ReplyDelete