Saturday, May 26, 2012

DIY Labels - Step by Step Guide

Been thinking that having labels on my sewing items will add extra 'exclusivity' to them.  Some sort like an in-house brand.  Thus, I have been scouting high and low for them.  Labels are not difficult to find.  However, the price those suppliers quoted were ridiculously high. Thus, I have been shelfing this thought for a long time.

The desire to have the labels surfaced again when I came across blogs talking about iron-on transfer paper.  Thus I experimented making my own labels.  The materials needed are :

Iron-on transfer paper
Ribbon
Iron
Deskjet printer


First, I created a document containing the design of my desired label, together with the brandname that I have chosen - Annie's Creations. 

 A deskjet printer is needed to print on the iron-on transfer paper.  Laser printer will not work.  For printing on the iron-on transfer paper, the image need to be printed as a mirror image.  This feature can be selected from the print properties.



Printed as mirror image on iron-on transfer paper



Upon printed, strips of the labels were cut and placed on the ribbon.  I used satin ribbon for this as I like the glossy look.



Placing the iron on transfer paper on the ribbon




The iron needs to be very hot.  Ironing of the transfer paper took only about 20 - 30 seconds.  The back of the transfer paper was then tore off.  The ribbon was then cut according to each of the label block.




Peeling the back of the transfer paper upon ironing



Labels are done


Labels were cut individually




I was all excited after I was done making the labels.  Sewn them on my DIY soft structured carrier (SSC) and one of the dress I sewn for my girls for chinese new year.  With the labels, they look like store bought.  I am indeed thrilled with the result. 




Labels sewn on SSC and dress

No comments:

Post a Comment