Sunday, September 16, 2012

Mango Jelly Mooncake

I seemed to be in a 'mooncake making' marathon lately.  Having tried making the snow skin as well as the traditional baked mooncake, I am putting my hands in making the jelly version.  Bought the book 'Fashionable Jelly Mooncake' by Wong Sip Moi in City Baker in Dataran Sumway.  Cost only RM10, very cheap.

There are many types of jelly mooncakes featured in the book.  However, I have decided to modify one of the recipe to suit my taste.  Here are the modified recipe :



(This recipe yields 4 normal size mooncakes)


Ingredients :

A
1 tsp       agar-agar powder
10g         castor sugar
50mL     coconut milk
200mL   water

B
30g        sweet potato (steamed and mashed).


C
1/2 tsp + 1/4tsp     agar-agar powder
250mL    mango juice


D
1.2 tbsp        agar-agar powder
30g               castor sugar
1/8tsp           salt
100mL         coconut milk
350mL         water
1 - 2 drops   pink (or green) coloring



Method :

1)  Bring A to boil.  Add in B and mix well.  Turn off heat and pour into small cups.  Unmould and trim edges after it has set.

2)  Bring D to boil.  Strain and divide into 2 parts.  Pour the 1st part into the mooncake mould.  Let it set a little.  Put (1) in after it has set a little.

3) Bring C to boil.  Strain and pour into (2).  Let it set a little.










4) Pour the 2nd part of D into (3).

5) Let the mooncakes cool and set.  Keep chilled.



The sweet potato is used as mocked egg yolks.  However, I decided to use the japanese sweet potatoes, which are purple in color instead of orange as I already have them at home.  I did not add any sugar into ingredient C as the mango juice that I used is already sweetened.  All the sugar used is reduced by more than half from the original recipe.  This resulted in a not too sweet jelly mooncake.  The mango juice also added in a little sour taste which I like. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment