Thursday, September 20, 2012

Breastmilk Teething Biscuits

My breastfeeding journey this time round has been smooth sailing so far.  My boy is on breastmilk exclusively, unlike his twin sisters of whom I needed to supplement with formula milk.  My bm supply was low back then, plus, there were 2 mouths to feed.  After ensuring my boy has enough bm for the day plus storage, the expressed breastmilk I have this time is enough for me to turn them into soaps.  Hb's 15 year old niece even requested for my ebm saying she needs all the 'power' to score As in PMR.  However, I suspected that the real reason she wanted it is because she heard that breast milk is able to help teenagers grow taller. 

Today I did something new that utilises bm as well :   breastmilk teething biscuits.

I get the idea of making my own teething biscuits from a post in the MC group.  A mummy was asking about homemade teething biscuits few weeks ago.  My boy is ready to bite anything that he can grab these days thus, teething biscuits would come in timely.




Ingredients :

1 cup    flour
1 cup   organic baby cereals
3tbsp   vegetable oil
4oz      chilled expressed breastmilk (ebm)



Method :

1) Mix flour, cereals and oil together.
2) Add in ebm a little at a time and stir well.
3) Keep adding ebm and mix till the dough just separated from the bowl.
4) Scoop the dough into a piping bag and pipe about 4cm each onto a tray lined with baking sheets.
5) Flatten the piped dough a little and bake in preheated oven at 215 degree celcius for 10 - 12 mins.
6) Let cooled and store in air tight container.










Took a bite myself once the biscuits are done.  They take on the taste of breastmilk.  Come to think of it, this is the first time I consume my own bm.   Having exposed to high temperature, the antibodies in the ebm would have degraded.  However, one can still benefit from other compounds contained in the ebm.  The biscuits are crunchy at the outside and soft at the inside.  Care must be taken when feeding little ones with any type of biscuits, not just homemade teething biscuits.  Never leave a child who has just started solids unattended when they are munching something.

No comments:

Post a Comment