Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Doraemon Pillow cum Blanket

It always fascinate me how things tend to be 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 or even multiples in 1 these days.  For instance, we have thumb drive cum pen, lighter cum torchlight, tablets cum phone, etc.  Something my sis owns caught my eyes the other day when she came for a visit, a 2 in 1 thingy : pillow cum blanket.  It seems to be very functional and space saving. Plus, it is nice too.  I imagine my girls will go wild if I sew them something like this in characters that they like.

The first character that came to my mind when I decided to sew this pillow cum blanket is the doraemon.  My sisters and I have always been a fan of doraemon.  This robotic cat is just so cute and  I wouldn't mind having it as a friend or companion.  I can always benefit something from that magical pocket of his. 

The first challenge in sewing this pillow cum blanket is on getting the right material.  Fleece would be nice, just that it is very difficult to find fleece here in Malaysia.  Flannel is too hard while cottons and linens are just as hard.  When someone pointed out that there is fleece in Kamdar, I found myself sprinted to the Mid Valley branch right away to check it out.  Sure enough there are some materials there that are quite similar to fleece, but not quite.  The uncles there told me that those are synthetic fleece and that they are sold till while stock last only and will not be restocked.  I reckoned that I shouldn't waste the opportunity and bought 1.5m each in pink, black, orange and blue as I already had in mind what other characters I am going to sew next after the doraemon.

The pillow cum blanket is very easy to sew.  The challenge in on getting a perfect round after stitching the zippers, which I used jacket zips.   The end result is not bad, although far from perfect. 

The girls adore the doraemon.  It created quite some hoo hah in the MC group too.   Almost immediately after I posted the pictures in Facebook, both my sisters demanded that I sew one for each of them.   Some mummies even sent me messages to ask for quotes and to place order.  Just too bad that I won't be taking orders, at least for now.     The most I can do is to put up a tutorial on how to make it.  Will do so one of these days, so, stay tuned!












No comments:

Post a Comment