Friday, May 3, 2013

DIY Story Board

Attended an English story telling session with the girls last week.  The story teller, Anne, gave me a wonderful idea to make a story board to make story telling or teaching more interesting and interactive.

Anne mentioned that her story board is made of felt, nailed to a frame done by a frame maker.  I, on the other hand, prefer to make it simple and cheaper, since I am not a professional story teller.  Just need something to hold the felt in place. 

Dug out the picture frame that I bought from Ikea sometime ago which I have been using to hold my jigsaw puzzles. Already given up assembling it ever since I have kids as I simply do not have the time and they will just shatter to pieces again when my three little 'jaws' passed by it.  Using the Ikea frame to hold the felt is really convenient as there is no hammering, nailing or pasting needed.  Just need to spread the main piece of felt over the frame and press down the holder to hold it in place. 


Picture Frame from Ikea
 
 
 
 
The scenes can be made up using felt of different colors.  Felt does not hold each other that well, so I glued some Velcro at the back.  Pictures and animations were printed on a piece of A4 paper and glued to 250gsm paper.  A piece of Velcro is then glued at the back of each picture.  Scenes and pictures can be taken down and changed easily with the Velcro. 




Back of Pictures and Felts with Velcro





I have been using the story board a few days now.   So far, I have told them the story of 'Three Little Pigs' and taught them about the habitats of wild animals, things that we do at the beach and giving directions and road safety.  I must say that teaching is much more interesting with interactions rather than learning from books alone.




A Scene from 'Three Little Pigs'






Wild Animals





Things We Do at the Beach





Directions and Road Safety




No comments:

Post a Comment